Tundra Swans, Tufted Duck

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2002
      Fri, 1 Nov 2002 -- At about 10:45 this morning three TUNDRA SWANS flew into
      Lake Mendocino. They circled the north end several times and settled down
      along the west shore near water tower. They were easy to spot from any
      vantage point in the north end of the lake. This is only the second time
      that I recall seeing swans at the lake.
      At about the same time I found a TUFTED DUCK among the scaups
      south of the mesa near Hunter's Cove. It was an adult male with a long
      tuft, black back, and typical bill markings. The sides, however, were not
      gleaming white, which, I think, is OK for Nov.1. This bird woud be a hard
      refind without a good bit of walking on the lakebed, favorable light, and a
      scope.
      I also saw at least three ROCK WRENS along the shoreline from the
      pipe at the end of the mesa down to the Little Bear Group Camp area. They
      were foraging from the edge of the dessicated mud, through the gravel and
      rocks, around the stumps and roots, in the eroded crevices along the mesa,
      and even up into the grass a bit. I wonder if the low lake level is
      enabling them to disperse along the margins of the lake. I can't believe
      I've missed them here over the years.
      The lake level is now about 707 feet, 42 feet below "full", and
      there is maybe 200 yards more mud than only three weeks ago!

      Pied-billed Grebe
      Horned Grebe
      Eared Grebe
      Western Grebe