Follow-up: White-winged Scoters

  • Rick Harris
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2011
      I've noticed in the last couple of days that the White-winged scoter survivors seem to be recovering. The ocean has moderated and I saw a family group of three (first year, male, female) on the slough at Pudding Creek by the tresle in Fort Bragg that seemed to be taking an interest in life again. A lot of sleeping, preening and even some active foraging. They are going to make it. Many did not. An expert birder once told me (David Jensen?) that scoter die-offs are not uncommon, but it was still hard seeing those beautiful tough birds being driven onto the rocks at Laguna point.

      Rick Harris