Rock Wren

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2002
      Yesterday (Sun 10/27) I visited the Mesa day use area on the northeast
      side of Lake Mendocino and the ROCK WREN that was discovered there
      during the Big Sit a couple weeks ago is still there. There are
      actually two individuals and they range along the south and west shores
      of the Mesa. The easiest way to observe the birds is to take the path
      down to the southwest point of the Mesa where there is an overlook and a
      large pipe running into the lake.

      A couple of corrections on my North Coast report from 10/26. The Merlin
      we observed was of the race columbarius and the weasel we saw was a
      Long-tailed Weasel.

      - Matthew Matthiessen

    • vishnu
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 15, 2003
        At Lake Mendocino this afternoon at 12:45 there was a singing Rock Wren on
        top of the rocks in front of the 1st bench to the south of the water outlet
        structure on the dam.
        Vishnu
      • Robert J. Keiffer
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2006
          Monday - 4 December 2006 - two Rock Wrens were observed foraging
          together amongst the rip-rap rocks on the Coyote Dam. They were
          just on the north side of where the concrete pump/gate column pier is
          located. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

          Robert J. Keiffer
          Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
          4070 University Road
          Hopland, CA 95449
          (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

          arena." Theodore Roosevelt

        • Robert J. Keiffer
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 29, 2010
            28 October 2010 , Thursday - I had an out-of-place ROCK WREN on our property
            1 mile west of Hopland. In accordance with the species' name, it was
            pleasantly perched and "bobbing" atop a 4-foot tall rock fairly near Feliz
            Creek. Good birding. Bob Keiffer