Mendo Rock Rd to North Cow Mt, BLM

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2011
      I birded Mendo Rock Rd (North Cow Mt) today which goes thru both Mendocino & Lake Counties. In Mendocino, I had a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, 6 California Thrashers, 4 Sage Sparrows, 3 Orange-crowned Warblers and 2 Mountain Quail. In Lake I had a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, 7 California Thrashers, 1 Orange-crowned Warbler and 13 Mountain Quail.
      The Mountain Quail I counted were individuals, so each one could have been part of a pair or more. There were lots of other good birds also.

      To access Mendo Rock Rd: Go south on River Rd out of Talmage and turn at the first rd, Mill Cr Rd up into Cow Mt. Go past all of the dams and take the first rd, Mendo Rock Rd to North Cow Mt. If you want to tell which county you are in, you must get a good map from BLM or something equivalent as there are no county line signs. Mendo Rock Rd is only 8 miles long and is about 3 miles from River Rd.

      Dave Bengston
      Ukiah