Goshawk in Albion

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2011
      6 April 2011 - Our rooster alerted us to the presence of a large
      Accipiter in a nearby redwood tree. Assuming it was a Cooper's Hawk we
      paid little heed, until it emitted a loud, rather nasal-sounding call;
      not a Red-Shouldered scream. It repeated this a few times, then flew
      off; as it did so, I noticed that it seemed too large, and too pale
      gray, for a Cooper's. Just now I went through the Stokes Guide bird
      calls and confirmed that it was a Northern Goshawk.

      It headed north... as many raptors seem to be doing these days.

      Tim Bray
      Middle Ridge, Albion