More Odd Raptor Behavior

  • Rick Harris
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6 7:42 PM
      Took a day trip down to Point Arena from Littleriver to see if Al was still around. When I got to the end of the pier I saw a rather large Osprey stoop from way up right in front of me and grab what I thought was a fish. A very large black fish from what I could see. The fish was so big that it appeared the Osprey couldn't lift off. Then to my astonishment, it wasn't a fish at all but a Cormorant (Brandt's as it turned out). After a furious battle the Osprey released the Cormormant and flew off. After a few seconds the Cormorant surfaced and appeared a little worse for the wear but still alive.

      At first I thought that the Osprey was actually trying to kill and eat the Cormorant, then I thought maybe it was trying to steal the Cormorants fish. Finally I came to the conclusion that the Osprey was warning the Cormorant not to fish in its territory and was trying to chase it off with a severe thrashing or even trying to kill it. Of the three ideas, I think the last is most likely, but the first two can't be ruled out. Never seen anything like it.

      As for Al the Albatross, the following conversation took place between me and a young man fishing at the end of the pier:

      Me: Have you seen Al today?
      Him: No not today, but I saw him yesterday.
      Me: (Excited) Where did you see him?
      Him: Oh, right over there were he usually is. He is probably out today but won't be back till later. He fishes over there around the corner (pointing south). That is where he gets his urchins.
      Me: Al eats sea urchins?
      Him: (Pause)... Um..., no, he sells them. Al is an urchin diver.
      Me: Oh

      So no Al the Albatross today but if you want to see Al the Urchin Diver, he is usually down there.

      Rick Harris