Eurasian Collared Doves

  • jarlyus
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5 10:15 AM
      4/5/11
      I guess these ever-more-common doves don't know that they are non-native and thus unprotected.
      I have at least two pairs nearby that coo-COO-coo loudly and incessantly starting at about 5 AM every morning.
      At least starlings and House Sparrows are smart enough to stay quiet that time of day.
      I seem to not hear the more pleasant calls of Mourning Doves so much any more. I wonder if there is a connection.

      Jim Armstrong
      SE Potter Valley
    • Tim Liguori
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5 11:02 AM
        FYI - we've had well over 20 show up the last two summers and now thru the winter. But this winter, red-shouldered hawks are showing up for a hardy meal.
        And I'm seeing more around town this year.

        Perhaps the RS hawks are increasing to help with the balance?

        Regards,

        Tim Liguori
        Fairfield, CA
        Blackberry'd from Tim Liguori