Great Blue Heron Rookery

  • Rick Harris
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4 6:57 PM
      Noted today that one of the best known Great Blue Heron rookeries in the area is filling up fast. Spotted two of three nests with resident herons on them. Reminds me of an apartment complex: Space is limited, filling up fast, gettem while they last! I noted one bird on a nest last week.

      The rookery is quite easy to get to but is not always easy to see. Even though I know where the nests are, I continually loose them in the background. Surprisingly well camoflaged for such a big bird on such a big nest. From the eastern-most parking lot (by the kiosk) in Big River, look across the river due southeast. About a quarter mile upstream in the tops of the the Doug firs on the south side of Big River will be the nesting platforms. There are more nests upstream around the "corner". Keep looking if you don't see them at first.

      Also seen: A number of breeding pelagic cormorants going far upstream on Big River. Four miles and still headed upstream. Never saw them feed. What are they doing up there?

      Rick Harris