North Coast Highlights - 10/26

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2002
      Today (Sat Oct 26) Gary and Judy Maddox and I birded the North Coast of
      Mendocino County. Started the day at the Mendocino Headlands where we
      refound one of the LAPLAND LONGSPURS in the same place that Toby Tobkin
      reported them on Thurs. Next stop was the Caspar Creek estuary where we
      found one PECTORAL SANDPIPER. At the south end of Glass Beach were 15
      HARLEQUIN DUCKS. At lake Cleone we were treated to a MERLIN
      (columbianus) catching dragonflies over the lake and returning to the
      same perch repeatedly to eat it's prey. There was one male BLACK SCOTER
      at the end of Ward Ave. We ended the day at Virgin Creek Beach where we
      found one PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVER at the creek outlet.

      Of interest was a BLACK-TAILED WEASEL at the Mendocino Headlands that
      kept popping his head up out of different holes. Beatiful animal and
      quite humerous to watch. Doubt there are any ground-squirrels that
      would agree with me.

      Good birding (and weaseling).

      - Matthew Matthiessen