Winged Mirgration

  • Rick Harris
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 8:12 PM
      Apr. 1 2011. Had a lot of fun hanging out on the Mendocino Headlands watching a big Spring migration go by. Migration definitely in full swing. I can't say that it has mpy been going on for the past several days of rain as I couldn't see much through my windshield, but I think many of these birds are taking advantage of a break in the weather to head north. Birds seen:

      Loons: Lotsa loons loosely bunched in clots or singles low over the water in a constant parade. Probably mostly Pacific but suspicious looking red-throated maybe.

      Brant: One really big flock of Brant went by low and digging hard. Tight and about 700. More or less.

      Surf Scoters: Nice tight vees low. Beyond counting.

      Gulls: A constant steady stream of singles and small groups following the bluff lines. Reminds me of hikers going by. Slow, steady and in for the long haul. To this laridae challenged birder it seemed like an even split between glaucaous winged, herring and California gulls with lots of interesting unidentifiables mixed in. Glaucous winged predominating.

      Common Murre: First time for seeing a group setting up for breeding on the offshore Bird Islands. They were forming the first "scrum" of the season. I call them a scrum because they always remind me of rugby players fighting over the ball. Tightly packed murres. Not sure what the proper term is.

      Rick Harris