Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2011
      Sorry to be late reporting a few species of interest:

      On 6 March I stopped at Detert Reservoir to get a better look at what appeared to be a small loon near the road, but somehow it vanished! On the other side of the road (smaller section of lake) I was suprised to see a male RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, which was the only merganser on the lake, and presumably the same individual present on 31 January. I also saw two GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE accompanying the SNOW GOOSE in a field along Butts Canyon Road 2 miles south of Middletown. I have been seeing the three geese nearly daily, up until yesterday (too foggy to see them this morning).

      At Hidden Valley Lake I was surprised to see a PILEATED WOODPECKER in foothill woodland (Blue Oaks and Gray Pines) along Yankee Valley Road on 5 March and again on 12 March. The habitat seems unusual for the species.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA