Greater White-fronted Goose @ College

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2011
      There has been a Greater White-fronted Goose overwintering (2-3months) at the Mendocino College this year with 2 Canada Geese, and it is still there. It is the 2nd year for the two Canada Geese.
      It is very hard to see them from the road. They are usually on the grass every morning at the south end of the new parking lot and west of the solar panels. On rare occasions they do visit two of the ponds.

      There were also 7 Hooded Mergansers and 2 Common Moorhens at the college pond south of the auto shop this morning.

      To get to the new parking lot, turn right at the 1st stop sign.

      Dave Bengston
    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 17, 2011
        Sorry to be late reporting a few species of interest:

        On 6 March I stopped at Detert Reservoir to get a better look at what appeared to be a small loon near the road, but somehow it vanished! On the other side of the road (smaller section of lake) I was suprised to see a male RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, which was the only merganser on the lake, and presumably the same individual present on 31 January. I also saw two GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE accompanying the SNOW GOOSE in a field along Butts Canyon Road 2 miles south of Middletown. I have been seeing the three geese nearly daily, up until yesterday (too foggy to see them this morning).

        At Hidden Valley Lake I was surprised to see a PILEATED WOODPECKER in foothill woodland (Blue Oaks and Gray Pines) along Yankee Valley Road on 5 March and again on 12 March. The habitat seems unusual for the species.

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, CA