Golden-Plover at the Mesa

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2002
      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 -- At 1:00 today there was a GOLDEN-PLOVER on the mud west
      of the Mesa at Lake Mendocino. The best view was from the end of the mesa
      near the pipe. I'm not certain of the species, but I would guess Pacific.
      The light was a little too harsh to be sure, but it definitely was a
      Golden-Plover (dark rump, light axillaries, smaller and slimmer than the 6
      BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS that it was with). Maybe someone with one of those
      new-fangled zoom lenses could pull it in for the ID.
      Also of interest in the north end of the lake were 4 BLUE-WINGED
      TEAL, 6 GADWALLS, 3 RING-NECKED DUCKS, 5 WESTERN SANDPIPERS, and 1
      WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA