Albion & South coast, 3/7 - 3/12

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2011
      Monday, March 7 - near west end of Middle Ridge, Albion - Two Ospreys
      circled each other for a while, calling almost continuously. A very
      dark Buteo, undoubtedly a Red-Tailed hawk, flew past them heading north;
      and eventually the Ospreys also headed north.

      Wednesday, March 9 - near west end of Middle Ridge, Albion - A Peregrine
      Falcon flew over us, headed east.

      Thursday, March 10 - near west end of Middle Ridge, Albion - A Peregrine
      Falcon (possibly same bird as yesterday) hunted some Passerines off to
      the west.

      Saturday, March 11 - Birded from Navarro River to Point Arena with
      out-of-town friends. Several Common Goldeneye were the most interesting
      birds in the Navarro River just north of the bridge; one male did a
      partial display (turned his head back, but did not get up and dance).
      Two Peregrine Falcons circled high overhead, above Navarro Ridge; they
      were significantly different in size, possibly a male-female pair. Down
      the coast we were unable to find any Ferruginous Hawks, Tundra Swans,
      Red Crossbills, or Laysan Albatross. (Our friends had fun anyway.) We
      did hear a Red-Breasted Nuthatch.

      Cheers,
      Tim on Middle Ridge, Albion