Orange-crowned Warbler

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
      11 March 2011 - Friday - Heard my season's first Orange-crowned Warbler
      singing today at the UC Hopland Research

      & Extension Center. Good birding! Bob Keiffer

    • Arthur Morley
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 22, 2012
        During the recent few weeks I have seen a OCWA feeding at my hummingbird feeder, as I did through the previous winter season. I wonder if anyone else knows of this behavior. What about other warbler species?

        OCWAs are known to feed on flower nectar, so why not feeder syrup? Last winter, while the warbler was at the feeder, the dominant male Anna's seemed to tolerate the warbler, but perched within a foot of the feeder until the warbler was finished. This year both the male and female Anna's will approach the Orange-crown within 6" and they have a face-off. The warbler remains perched at the feeder until it finishes eating.

        Any other such observations?

        Art Morley, Fort Bragg.

      • mendobirder707
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 23, 2014
          Today, around 14:30, I spotted Orange-crowned Warblers at the Redwood Valley Outdoor Education Project. I saw some up in the oak trees by the entrance, and more along the wildflower trail in the grove of young live oaks down the hill. In addition, I had a lot of fun yesterday (3/22/14) at the beginners' walk at the Ukiah WTP, and with the help of some amazing mendobirders tallied 52 birds:

          Acorn woodpecker

          American Coot

          American crow

          American Goldfinch

          American Widgeon

          Anna's Hummingbird

          Black Phoebe

          Brewers Blackbird

          Bufflehead

          California Towhee

          Canada Goose

          Cliff Swallow

          Common yellowthroat

          Double-crested Cormorant

          Golden-crowned sparrow

          Great-blue heron

          Greater scaup

          Green-winged teal

          House finch

          Kildeer

          Lesser Goldfinch

          Lincoln sparrow

          Mallard

          Marsh wren

          Merlin

          Northern Flicker

          Northern Mockingbird

          Northern rough-winged swallow

          Northern Shoveler

          Nuttals woodpecker

          Oak titmouse

          Osprey

          Pied-billed grebe

          Raven

          Red-shouldered Hawk

          Red-tailed Hawk

          Red-winged Blackbird

          Ring-necked duck

          Robin

          Rock dove

          Ruddy Duck

          Savannah Sparrow

          Song Sparrow

          Spotted towhee

          Starling

          Tree swallow

          Turkey vulture

          Violet-green Swallow

          Western Bluebird

          White-crowned sparrow

          Wilsons Snipe

          Wrentit

          Yellow-rumped warbler

        • Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 24, 2014
            Another message with no name...Mendobirds instructions are that you
            "Please include the date of observation, your full name, and general
            location in the body of the message."

            Thanks, Chuck

            --
            Chuck and Barbara Vaughn