Re: Red Crossbills

  • Pam Huntley
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
      Hi the Red Crossbills, remain prevalent up on Comptche Ukiah rd. When the sun was shining last month there was lots of courtship singing.
      We heard a large group Sun in the Caspar cemetery. Could anyone say who was flying by in the small flocks low over the ocean this weekend?
      They were in groups of 20 or so. They had rapid wing beats dark on back light on bottom. Very stocky, we were guessing Murrelets. Saw 100's on
      Sat and fewer on Sun.

    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2011
        Some friends are coming for a visit this weekend and would love to see
        Crossbills. Is there a location where they might reliably be found?

        Cheers,
        Tim on Middle Ridge, Albion

        On 2/27/2011 6:31 PM, Rick Harris wrote:
        > Reports of a RED CROSSBILL erratic irruption for the second year here in inland Little River.
      • Jeff Davis
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9, 2011
          I don't know how reliable they are at this location, but Red Crossbills (and Evening Grosbeaks) were calling in flight at the Little River Airport when I was there over several days in mid-January.

          Jeff Davis
          Fresno, CA

          On Mar 9, 2011, at 7:27 AM, AlbionWood wrote:

          > Some friends are coming for a visit this weekend and would love to see
          > Crossbills. Is there a location where they might reliably be found?
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Tim on Middle Ridge, Albion
          >
          > On 2/27/2011 6:31 PM, Rick Harris wrote:
          > > Reports of a RED CROSSBILL erratic irruption for the second year here in inland Little River.
          > .

        • Ron LeValley
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 25, 2011
            Probably Common Murres. There are lots around now and they are beginning to
            move towards their nesting islands.

            Ron

            For a free natural history Picture of the Day in your e-mail, go to
            <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php>
            http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php

            For archives of past Picture of the Days, go to
            <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery> www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery

            Ron LeValley Photography
            P.O. Box 332

            Little River CA 95456

            707/937-1742

            <mailto:Ron@...> Ron@...

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 17, 2011
              7/17/11 1 mile north of Fort Bragg at our home near Airport Road

              We have 3 Red Crossbills (here all day today and yesterday). They've been frequenting our front yard feeders for weeks. Here is a link of my Facebook album if you'd like to see. Try copying and pasting the url if you can't click on the links below. Enjoy : )

              Sarah and David Flaim

              Album of Birds in our yard:

              http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1342062264684.2050299.1025024875

              Crossbill photo: