More Allen's H'birds

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2011
      2 March 2010 - Just confirmed the first female Allen's at one of the
      feeders. Yesterday there were four orange males at different places
      around the yard (presumably all Allen's, but I only saw the green backs
      on two of them).

      Also noted one Golden-Crowned Sparrow with black and gold head.

      Forgot to report a few days ago, I saw two Red-Tailed Hawks copulating
      on a power pole. Spring is definitely in the air!

      Cheers,
      Tim Bray
      Middle Ridge, Albion
    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 25, 2016
        25 February 2016 (Thursday) - Hearing the distinctive ringing buzz of Selasphorus males, I spent a few minutes this afternoon surveying the garden.  In about 15 minutes, I counted nine (9) Allen's Hummingbirds; eight adult males, and one apparent female.
        In the same area were only 4 Anna's, 3 males and one female, where there were about 12 just 2 weeks ago.  No Rufous yet, unless one was hiding from me, which is possible.

        I last surveyed this area closely on Sunday the 21st and there were no Selasphorus present then.
        --
        Cheers,
        Tim