Peregrine Program Th, Feb 17: Awesome Oaks, Habitat, Not Just Wood

  • Roger Foote
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2011
      Awesome Oaks, Habitat, Not Just Wood

      Oaks are mighty and majestic, historic and memorable, but also overlooked
      and ignored. Greg Giusti will tell us about these familiar trees at this
      month�s Peregrine Audubon program on Thursday, February 17 at 7 p.m. in the
      Ukiah Civic Center. Giusti says �its not about oak trees, its the oak
      forest, its structure and composition, which provides for multiple animal
      communities. It is about habitat, habitat, habitat�.

      He points out that after 150 years growing hops, prunes, pears and, now,
      excellent grapes we are left with only remnants of the previous almost
      ubiquitous oak woodlands. Are these pieces still viable? What benefit are
      they to us? What can we do as a community? Is there a role for the
      individual?

      Giusti believes that we all have a part to play and education is vital. The
      more people who understand the importance of these forests and how they
      contribute to our quality of life, the better chance we have to enjoy the
      remaining oak woodlands for the next 150 years.

      Currently, Greg Guisti is the Forest and Wildlands Ecology Advisor in
      Mendocino and Lake Counties and the director of Lake County UC Cooperative
      Extension. He was a guest lecturer at Stanford and worked as a biologist at
      the Marine Ecological Institute. He has advised on many wildlife problems
      from bears to squirrels.

      This Peregrine Audubon sponsored presentation is free to the public, though
      donations will be welcome. The Ukiah Civic Center is located at 300 Seminary
      Avenue. To support Peregrine Audubon Society and receive a newsletter with
      regular announcements about programs and field trips, please send $20 to
      PAS, P.O. Box 311, Ukiah, CA 95482. For more information on a wide variety
      of topics related to birding and conservation in Mendocino County please go
      to www.peregrineaudubon.org.