White Pelicans at Lake Mendocino

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2002
      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 -- This afternoon at 4:30 there were two AMERICAN WHITE
      PELICANS sitting on the mud west of the mesa. Yes, there are now several
      acres of mud _west_ of the mesa including two mud islands in the middle of
      the lake which I have never seen before, having been out of the country
      during the drought in the 70's. The pelicans were gone when I looked again
      at 6:00. Do they commute to Lake County? There was also a group of 5-6
      BONAPARTE'S GULLS milling around the end of Miti spit.
      This morning there was quite a fallout of Yellow-rumped Warblers in
      Potter Valley. There were hundreds everywhere where there were none
      yesterday. There was a heavy, high overcast for the first time in weeks.
      The warblers were most concentrated in some vineyards which have not been
      picked this year, but they could be found in any tree inspected.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      P.S. The new Lake and Mendocino phonebook which came this week has a
      picture of a group of White Pelicans on the cover. It must be Clear Lake;
      does anyone recognize the place? I think the picture on the old phonebook
      is Cypress Point in Monterey Co.!
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2003
        Thu, 25 Sep 2003 -- The AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS which have been on and off
        again at Lake Mendocino for the last two weeks reappeared today. At noon
        they were sitting in the usual place, a little mud bar along the east side
        across from the south marina. They could be seen from Coyote Dam or
        anywhere around the south marina.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA