Common Ravens, Common Murres and Mystery Birds

  • Rick Harris
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2011
      Was out watching the resident Peregrine falcon (aka Gull Killer) at Bird Rock on the Mendocino Headlands yesterday. The best show however were the ravens playing in the windy updrafts. Always entertaining, but saw a new trick I have never seen before. One raven would hold a fairly large stick in its feet and do a perfect flight stall in the air. It was an aeronatical thing only a raven could understand. Then another one would come in and fly upside down and take the stick in one perfectly timed motion. It is that time of year when the ravens seem to get especially frisky around here and I recommend stopping by if you like to watch birds fly.

      Also saw a big raft of common murres of over two hundred northest of the rock when I stopped counting. Then there was the small raft of brownish/white diving sea birds that I couldn't identify. About 12 of them in tight to the rocks and just off the murre raft. I tried to get a good look and was driven back by ferocious winds and tearing eyes. Not scoters. Tantalzing.

      Rick