Al the Laysan Albatross in Point Arena Cove Midday Today

  • yakteachr
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2011
      Millie and I decided to try our luck today for Al the Laysan Albatross. When we arrived around 11:15am, Al was sitting (as if waiting for us) about 100 yards from the end of the fishing pier. He posed for a few minutes of photos and tucked his bill for some shuteye.

      Millie and I slipped into the coffee shop for a break and to examine photos. When we came back out, Al was still nodding off, but five Black Oystercatchers were making so much noise that he couldn't get back to sleep. I snapped a few more pics of Al. Just before noon, we left him trying to get back into restful solace.

      Before we left the cove, a Peregrine Falcon zipped overhead from the north rim of the cove and quickly disappeared over the south rim; a Pacific Loon popped up not far from the end of pier; and a Belted Kingfisher called from the creek. Leaving Point Arena, we had a flyby by a Eurasian Collared-Dove just before crossing Garcia River.

      Good birding,

      Craig Cummings
      Napa, CA