Bullock's Orioles & Thayer's Gulls

  • K A Havlena
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2011
      Tue, 18 Jan 2011 -- Chuck Vaughn, Jerry White and myself
      birded Rose Memorial Park in Fort Bragg, and we found three
      BULLOCK'S ORIOLES frequenting the Banksia trees, tall
      cypress and smaller pines in the cemetery.  Our looks were
      generally of the birds flying from tree to tree, and quick looks
      of the birds in the interior of the trees.  One was a female
      and two were immature males (one was a 2nd year bird).
      There is the possibility of a 2nd female, but we only saw
      three birds together at one time.

      The low angle of the early morning, bright sun gave a more
      orange glow to one male's plumage in particular.  But, as
      the sun moved higher in the sky, the males looked just
      plain yellow, where yellow should be.  Also, it took time
      but we finally saw that both males had black markings on
      the chin and throat, with the older male having a longer,
      narrow black mark and an obvious black eyeline.  The
      younger male had a hint of an eyeline and a small black
      mark on the chin only.  Chuck questioned why the birds
      hid in the foliage of all the trees, rather than want to be
      out on the sunny ends of the branches.  Two of these
      birds are most likely the same imm. male and female
      seen by David Jensen on 26 December, 2010, but they
      were so difficult to get good, solid looks at, could the
      third bird have been there, as well?

      Later on, Chuck spotted two adult THAYER'S GULLS
      on the beach at the mouth of the Navarro River, south
      of Little River.

      Karen Havlena, Chuck Vaughn & Jerry White
      (cemetery is at N Franklin & the Skunk RR tracks,
      in Fort Bragg)