Possible Baltimore Oriole, Continuing Swamp Sparrow, Hybrid Zono Photos

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2011
      Hello all. Today Melanie Mancuso and I decided to visit the Mendocino coast for
      the afternoon. Our first interesting bird of the day was a NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL
      along Highway 253, sitting on the powerlines near 15450Boonville-Ukiah Rd.

      Off Little River, at Van Damme State Park, we had one RED-NECKED GREBE and five
      HORNED GREBES, as well as some of the more expected near-shore birds.

      We found the continuing SWAMP SPARROW at Big River, just south of the town of
      Mendocino. To get to this site, turn east off Highway 1 onto Big River Rd.,
      then pull into the parking lot closest to the Big River Highway 1 bridge. Walk
      under the bridge, then head north, towards the small patch of willows and
      reeds. The bird was at the edge of the willows, more on the east side of the
      patch. West of the bridge we had a lot of birds in the alder stand, including a
      number of Varied Thrushes; this area looks prime for fall vagrants.

      At Rose Memorial Park, the cemetery in north Ft Bragg, we had an interesting
      Oriole that I think is most likely a BALTIMORE ORIOLE. The bird, a second-year
      (immature) male was in the Eucalyptus and Banksia at the northwest corner of the
      cemetery, near the residence. It spent most of its time in the Eucs, but did
      visit the nearest Banksia, and spent a few moments in the roundish pine tree.
      The bird was quite deep orange on the throat, tail and undertail coverts, with a
      warm orange wash to the belly and chest. The crown, nape and auriculars were
      gray-brown, touched with orange wash, as was the back. There was no obvious
      dark eyeline through the eye. The median wing coverts were white, with very
      thin dark centers to the feathers. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with
      me, so there are no photos, as of yet, of this bird. Hopefully others will be
      able to refind this bird, and we can get a definite name on it.

      Finally, I have uploaded some photos of the apparent hybrid Golden-crown X
      White-crowned Sparrow, from my parent's feeder in Potter Valley. The link is
      here:
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/podoces/sets/72157624487312810/with/5366228174/>.
      Oscar Johnson found the bird and took the photographs of it (using my camera).

      Good birding,

      Matt Brady
      Potter Valley, MEN