Re: Brant at Navarro River Sat. ~1pm

  • Rick & Jeanne Jackson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2011
      Can anyone tell me what kind of bird is flying NORTH low over the ocean in a loose, undulating V? From my home in Anchor Bay I saw a large flock about 1 pm today of dozens of dark birds. Geese? Brant? I am too far away to identify. These birds have been seen several times over the past ten days, always flying north.
      Jeanne Jackson

    • Richard Kuehn
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2011
        While I can’t answer for the other flocks you observed, Dean Schuler and I
        saw 3 large flocks of Brant go winging northward over the Pacific today.
        I’m willing to bet that that was what you observed.

        These were VERY loose flocks and NOT a classic V. The first numbered nearly
        500 birds and the 2nd and 3rd ones were approx. one-halve of that: we
        believed we’d observed more than 1,000 Brant beginning ~12:30 PM near the
        country line from our bluff-top home.

        We actually opened one of our ocean-facing windows and listened to their
        melodic ‘honking’.

        Rich

        Richard Kuehn

        WindandSea at The Sea Ranch