Brant at Navarro River Sat. ~1pm

  • stewardscoord
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2011
      There was a lone Brant with the flock of Canada Geese on the lower Navarro (~0.3 miles up) this afternoon. Good light today so got some photos of those species as well as the Bufflehead, Common Mergansers, Surf Scooters, Mallards and Common Goldeneyes.
    • Rick & Jeanne Jackson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2011
        Can anyone tell me what kind of bird is flying NORTH low over the ocean in a loose, undulating V? From my home in Anchor Bay I saw a large flock about 1 pm today of dozens of dark birds. Geese? Brant? I am too far away to identify. These birds have been seen several times over the past ten days, always flying north.
        Jeanne Jackson

      • Richard Kuehn
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 15, 2011
          While I can’t answer for the other flocks you observed, Dean Schuler and I
          saw 3 large flocks of Brant go winging northward over the Pacific today.
          I’m willing to bet that that was what you observed.

          These were VERY loose flocks and NOT a classic V. The first numbered nearly
          500 birds and the 2nd and 3rd ones were approx. one-halve of that: we
          believed we’d observed more than 1,000 Brant beginning ~12:30 PM near the
          country line from our bluff-top home.

          We actually opened one of our ocean-facing windows and listened to their
          melodic ‘honking’.

          Rich

          Richard Kuehn

          WindandSea at The Sea Ranch