Lake County Emperor Goose (5 October 2002)

  • Mike Feighner
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2002
      North Bay Birders, Mendocino County Birders:

      Yesterday (5 October 2002) I headed straight for the first-winter Emperor
      Goose at Rodman Slough (Clear Lake, Lake County). I arrived shortly after 2
      PM and saw what appeared to be the Emperor Goose from the Rodman Slough
      Bridge. I then drove to the pull-out 0.4 mile west of the bridge from where
      the Emperor Goose was much easier to see being it was only a "stone-throw"
      away.

      The Vesper Sparrow continued among the Savannah Sparrows at 11315 High
      Valley Road along the south side of the road. I next drove two miles past
      the end of pavement hoping for a Greater Roadrunner or anything else. No
      such luck. I stopped again at 11315 High Valley Road on the way back and
      refound the Vesper Sparrow one more time. Down the road I ran into Jim and
      Sheree Lomax of Contra Costa County looking for the Vesper Sparrow. I told
      them I had just seen it and was now looking for a Yellow-billed Magpie.
      Later Jim and Sheree did see the Vesper Sparrow in addition to a
      Yellow-billed Magpie at the same location, 11315 High Valley Road. There is
      always a reason to return to Lake County.

      Next I moved onto the east end of Borax Lake via 11th Street. I walked
      along the shore to the south-east corner of the lake and looked west toward
      a spit where the three Greater White-fronted Geese were hanging out. There
      was no sign of the two Blue-winged Teal that Jerry White had reported the
      day before.

      --
      Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, Alameda County