G W F Goose, Bald Eagle, Falcons, Cackling Goose, R B Grosbeak

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2011
      Today I birded the Ukiah Water Treatment Plant where I saw a Greater White Fronted Goose and 8 American Pipits.

      At the Beckstoffer Pond I saw 2 Peregrine Falcons and 18 Hooded Mergansers.

      At the Gielow Pond, there was a Cackling Goose (still), 6 Canvasback Ducks, and an immature Bald Eagle and two more Peregrine Falcons. I first saw the falcons which looked like they were a pair handing off a kill, and then the Bald Eagle came in and chased one of the falcons until I saw it hit it. It might have been trying to take away the kill. It came back over me a couple of times and it did not have anything. It had a lot of white mottling and appeared to be an immature in transition (head and tail had a lot of white). The beak was already bright yellow, which really helped in the ID.

      The R B Grosbeak was at my house all day. There were 4 birders that came to see it.