Lake County Red-naped Sapsucker

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2011
      Yesterday, January 7th, I refound the female RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER that was first discovered on the Clear Lake CBC. Take Diener Drive which is off of Highway 29 about 3 miles West of Lower Lake. Go 7/10ths of a mile just past a small house on the right. I parked in a dirt pullout on the right hand side of the road just beyond the brick well house. The bird was in a walnut tree (the one with a No Trespassing sign) on the right, near the road. It has also been found in the small apple orchard which is next to the house. This was at about 9:00 AM.

      Then in the early afternoon I birded along Lakeshore Drive, Clearlake Park where I had a Common Loon, a male RED-BREATED MERGANSER, and a female BARROW'S GOLDENEYE. Jerry White

    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2011
        Yesterday Doug Weidemann and I birded around Clear Lake. Our best birds were four male RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS north of Pirate's Cove, Clearlake Park, and an adult GLAUCOUS X HERRING GULL at Redbud Park, Clearlake.

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, CA