Rose-breasted Grosbeak

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
      Good Afternoon:

      For the last hour I have been watching what I am certain is a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak at my feeders. The plumage looks very fresh. The beak is very light. The bottom is pink and the top is more of a grayish. The breast is heavily streaked and the throat is very white. Overall this bird has almost no yellow or orange (less than Sibley or National Geographic pictures). The only yellow I've seen is underneath the wings when it flies.

      I put out sunflower seed immediately and got the camera out. I will try to get some photos. Hopefully it will stick around.

      Anyone is welcome to try and come see it. You just cannot make a lot of noise and wake the baby.

      Dave Bengston
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
        Good Morning:

        The Rose-breasted Grosbeak returned to the feeders at 10:32 this am. It is currently feeding at a platform feeder. Yesterday it did not feed late.

        While we were waiting to see it yesterday (Chuck Vaughn & I) we also had a Red-breasted Nuthatch show up, which came back to feed 3Xs. Other current birds include a White-throated Sparrow (everyday) and a Slate-colored Junco (about every 2-3 days).

        At this point, after only one day, I would say do not come very early or very late if you want to see it.

        Dave Bengston
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 9, 2011
          The Grosbeak showed up at my feeders at 8 am. I have a sharpie that is visiting almost every day, so I cannot be sure when the Grosbeak will be here. Yesterday it was here from 10:30 up until the sharpie came about 1 pm.
        • Arthur Morley
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2013
            There was a male RBGR at the end of Madsen Lane east of Fort Bragg at 4:30 on Saturday,  Sept. 28.

            Madsen Lane is about 3 miles east of Hwy 1 out Oak St./Sherwood Rd.  Turn south on Madsen for  1/4  mile to two locked gates.  The bird was just inside the gate to the logging road on the left that goes down to the Noyo River.

            I have not looked again, but I will on Tuesday.  The bird may stay as there are seed feeders and water nearby.

            When parking, don't block the roads or gates.

            Art Morley