Evening Grosbeaks continue

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2011
      Tue, 04 Jan 2011 -- After several misses since Dec 18, today I located a
      group of nine EVENING GROSBEAKS on S. School street in Ukiah. I made a pass
      through the area at about 10:00 when it was still foggy and did not find
      them. I made another pass at 11:00 when it was sunny and found them in a
      Chinese Pistashe on the NW corner of S. School and W. Clay. I watched them
      for 40 minutes at close range - no binoculars needed.
      They were feeding very intently on the berries of the pistache - the
      only sound was the cracking of the seeds. I collected some of the shells as
      they rained down on the sidewalk in real time. They were perfectly halved,
      miniature, pistachio shells. In the 40 minutes that I was there, the number
      of berries on the tree was visibly reduced.
      I came back 20 minutes later, and they has moved to the next tree north
      - then they disappeared. If you want to see them, you better hurry: the
      berries are about to run out.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 2011
        Tue, 11 Jan 2011 -- Today I located one EVENING GROSBEAK by the courthouse
        at N. School and W. Stanley in Ukiah. The pistache trees are almost
        entirely denuded of berries now.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA