Tufted Duck

  • katemarianchild
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2011
      Helen Menasian and I saw the male tufted duck in a flock of greater scaup from the Bushay Campground road at about 3 p.m. today. After we had been watching for a while the flock flew toward the lake and landed along the shore sort of opposite the boat ramp. We also got great views of a flock of golden-crowned kinglets foraging in the oaks along the trail that parallels the shoreline between the group camp and the Mesa. One of the kinglets had bright red spots in its crown (definitely not orange). A hairy woodpecker was working hard on the trunk of a conifer east of the Mesa.

      Kate