So Coast CBC - 30 Dec Results & Date for Next Time

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2011
      Thu, 30 Dec 2010 -- A believe that we set a new record with 149 species,
      which excludes 2 species seen during Count Week.  I have records going
      back to 1995, the closest total was 147 (+1 seen CW) in 2006.

      Birds that were not on the official tally sheet were MARBLED GODWIT and
      LONG-EARED OWL.  (Bob Keiffer wrote that "many" years ago, Jerry White
      saw a LEOW on Kinney Ln, but it had been dropped from the current list).

      The two Count Week birds were a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK seen by me
      on Mon, 27 Dec and a PALM WARBLER seen 12/27 and by Connie Shimbor
      and myself Fri, 31 Dec. The PAWA is surely the same bird found in the
      immediate area near the Garcia R. bridge as last year.  This sneaky guy was
      only a Count Week bird then, also!

      Other rare species included SANDHILL CRANE, NASHVILLE WARBLER,
      SWAMP SPARROW, CATTLE EGRET and PACIFIC-GOLDEN PLOVER.
      GREEN HERON and WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH were good birds, too.

      Sea conditions did not favor shearwater/tubenose species, and we missed
      Snow/Ross's and Cackling Goose. Area 1's hit-n-miss Am Dipper was a
      miss this time.

      a good date for the 112th CBC.  Unless, many people have a conflict with
      this date, we will set 30 Dec, 2011, as our next South Coast count day.

      Thanks again TO ALL who helped out on this count!!!  It was cold, but the
      rain and high winds abated.  Thank you, thank you.

      Karen Havlena