American Dippers, Wood Ducks, and Eagles Galore

  • Cate
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2010
      Rainy days have our Mendocino County rivers flowing. We have been enjoying whitewater kayaking and birding on them. Here are some of our notable wildlife and bird sitings from the past week -

      12/18 South Fork of the Noyo and Noyo above the estuary - American Dippers, 6 salmon

      12/23 Eel River from Hearst to Outlet Creek - Flocks of wood ducks, bald eagles both adult and juveniles (we stopped counting after 8 birds), wild pigs with piglets, a bear swimming in the river.

      12/24 Noyo Estuary - 5 Black Crowned Night Herons and "Squeaky" the harlequin duck

      12/28 Rancheria Creek (Mountain View Road to Hendy Woods) - Many American dippers, several pairs of wood ducks, a flock of about a dozen wood ducks, a green heron.

      Happy Birding,
      Cate and Jeff
      http://www.liquidfusionkayak.com