White Pelicans at Lake Mendocino

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2002
      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 -- At about noon, Bob Keiffer, Chuck Vaughn, and I found 3
      AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS sitting on the mud off of the north boat ramp at
      Lake(bed) Mendocino. These pelicans rarely make the border crossing from
      Lake to Mendocino County, but as Lake Mendocino continues to fall, and the
      fish become more concentrated, I suspect that the lake will become
      increasingly attractive to them and some other waterbirds. At Coyote Dam we
      saw a BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER (perhaps the same one reported last weekend) and
      spotted (by scope) an AMERICAN AVOCET on the east shore between Miti spit
      and Perry Creek Cove. We also found LEWIS'S WOODPECKERS again on Burris
      Lane in Potter Valley, this time in a large, dead oak well north of the
      pond.
      These observations were made during the PRBO fall Big Day by the
      team representing Mendocino County. We began the day at 04:30 in Hopland
      and ended on the boardwalk at Lake Cleone at sunset. The birding began a
      little slowly after sunrise in the high chaparral at HREC as a heavy fog
      layer developed. From above it looked like it might fill the whole valley,
      but as we descended it cleared, and we slowly made up missed species. The
      Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant ponds were not very productive this year, but
      Lake Mendocino made up for that with a good variety of ducks and
      waterbirds. The coast was rather slow in the afternoon, but each area
      visited produced a few species not seen elsewhere during the day. We
      finished with 149 species, a new record for Mendocino for the fall event.
      A full list is included below.

      George Chaniot, Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      Pacific Loon, Common Loon, Pied-billed Grebe, Eared Grebe, Western Grebe,
      Clark's Grebe, American White Pelican, Brown Pelican, Double-crested
      Cormorant, Brandt's Cormorant, Pelagic Cormorant, Great Blue Heron, Great
      Egret, Green Heron, Turkey Vulture, Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Green-winged
      Teal, Mallard, Northern Pintail, Blue-winged Teal, Cinnamon Teal, Northern
      Shoveller, Ring-necked Duck, Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup, Harlequin Duck,
      Surf Scoter, Hooded Merganser, Common Merganser, Ruddy Duck, Osprey,
      White-tailed Kite, Northern Harrier, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk,
      Red-shouldered Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, Ferruginous Hawk, Golden Eagle,
      American Kestrel, Wild Turkey, California Quail, Mountain Quail, Virginia
      Rail, Sora, American Coot, Black-bellied Plover, Snowy Plover, Semipalmated
      Plover, Killdeer, Black Oystercatcher, American Avocet, Greater Yellowlegs,
      Willet, Wandering Tatler, Spotted Sandpiper, Whimbrel, Black Turnstone,
      Surfbird, Sanderling, Western Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Pectoral
      Sandpiper, Dunlin, Long-billed Dowitcher, Wilson's Snipe, Red-necked
      Phalarope, Heermann's Gull, California Gull, Western Gull, Glaucous-winged
      Gull, Common Tern, Common Murre, Cassin's Auklet, Rock Dove, Band-tailed
      Pigeon, Mourning Dove, Barn Owl, Western Screech Owl, Great Horned Owl,
      Common Poorwill, Vaux's Swift, Anna's Hummingbird, Belted Kingfisher,
      Lewis's Woodpecker, Acorn Woodpecker, Nuttall's Woodpecker, Downy
      Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Pileated Woodpecker, Western Wood-Pewee,
      Willow Flycatcher, Black Phoebe, Say's Phoebe, Hutton's Vireo, Steller's
      Jay, Western Scrub-Jay, American Crow, Common Raven, Violet-green/Tree
      Swallow, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Barn Swallow, Chestnut-backed
      Chickadee, Oak Titmouse, Bushtit, White-breasted Nuthatch, Pygmy Nuthatch,
      Brown Creeper, Bewick's Wren, Winter Wren, Marsh Wren, Golden-crowned
      Kinglet, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Western Bluebird, American Robin, Wrentit,
      Northern Mockingbird, California Thrasher, European Starling, American
      Pipit, Cedar Waxwing, Orange-crowned Warbler, Yellow Warbler, Yellow-rumped
      Warbler, Townsend's Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Spotted Towhee,
      California Towhee, Rufous-crowned Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow, Lark Sparrow,
      Sage Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow, Fox Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Lincoln's
      Sparrow, Golden-crowned Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco,
      Red-winged Blackbird, Western Meadowlark, Brewer's Blackbird, Brown-headed
      Cowbird, Purple Finch, House Finch, Lesser Goldfinch, American Goldfinch,
      House Sparrow
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 10, 2002
        Thu, 10 Oct 2002 -- This afternoon at 4:30 there were two AMERICAN WHITE
        PELICANS sitting on the mud west of the mesa. Yes, there are now several
        acres of mud _west_ of the mesa including two mud islands in the middle of
        the lake which I have never seen before, having been out of the country
        during the drought in the 70's. The pelicans were gone when I looked again
        at 6:00. Do they commute to Lake County? There was also a group of 5-6
        BONAPARTE'S GULLS milling around the end of Miti spit.
        This morning there was quite a fallout of Yellow-rumped Warblers in
        Potter Valley. There were hundreds everywhere where there were none
        yesterday. There was a heavy, high overcast for the first time in weeks.
        The warblers were most concentrated in some vineyards which have not been
        picked this year, but they could be found in any tree inspected.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA

        P.S. The new Lake and Mendocino phonebook which came this week has a
        picture of a group of White Pelicans on the cover. It must be Clear Lake;
        does anyone recognize the place? I think the picture on the old phonebook
        is Cypress Point in Monterey Co.!
      • chaniot@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 25, 2003
          Thu, 25 Sep 2003 -- The AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS which have been on and off
          again at Lake Mendocino for the last two weeks reappeared today. At noon
          they were sitting in the usual place, a little mud bar along the east side
          across from the south marina. They could be seen from Coyote Dam or
          anywhere around the south marina.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA