AL - Laysan Albatross

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2010
      9 December 2010 - Thursday - Bill Mauck reports that Big Al was present this
      AM 0740 - 0755 about 75 meters NE of the end of the fishing pier. Fanned his
      wings once just to make sure Cathy and Bill understood his regal presence.
      Otherwise just stayed in place and preened from time to time.

      On Wednesday evening at dusk they couldn't see him - maybe he/she wasn't
      there or maybe the rain on their lens and deeping darkness hid him. But,
      there he was in the morning!

      Posted for Bill by Bob Keiffer. Good Birding!

    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2011
        27 February 2011 - I just read on CAL BIRDS about in inquiry concerning
        "AL" the Point Arena Cove Laysan Albatross. From the CAL BIRDS report I see
        that Skip Augur of Chico saw "AL" on 27 February, but someone else reported
        that the bird was not see for the last two days (2/3 March). There are so
        many birders interested in seeing this bird, or knowing about its
        activities, that I would really appreciate it if anyone seeing AL would post
        it on Mendobirds .or at least send me an email directly. Whenever I post
        the historical comings and goings of this bird I get replies from people all
        over the world (yes, even outside the U.S.) who are intrigued by this bird.

        So, for the record, please post "AL" sightings even though the bird may
        seem routine for us locally. Also . for this 2010/2011 stay, AL will be
        leaving soon and it would be nice to know exactly which day that AL departs.
        Also .did any surfers happen to collect a feather from AL? .if so we can
        have it analyzed for cheap as to which sex the bird is.

        Good Birding. and thanks. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...

      • Richard Kuehn
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2011
          As I was the individual who’d posted that I’d not seen “AL” on either March
          2/3 after reading an inquiry on CALBIRDS, I do want everyone to know that
          the 3 Pacific Golden-Plovers continue near the Point Arena Lighthouse
          cabins. They were walking about feeding on insects with a Killdeer on the
          eastern side of the buildings when I stopped there Wednesday, March 2nd.

          Good Birding,

          Rich

          Richard Kuehn

          WindandSea at The Sea Ranch

[...]