Yellow-bellied Sapsucker hybrid near Willits Water Treatment Lakes

  • sizewiremike
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2010
      Fellow birders,

      With the kind permision of the Willits Water Treatment Staff, I did a quick survey this morning of the birds at the lower lake, the stream between the upper and lower lakes, and the upper lake. The upper lake is the one that can be glimpsed as you drive along 101 south a couple of miles or so south of Willits. To get to the lower lake, you must drive past the upper lake on the gravel road that goes by a couple of homes at the north end of the upper lake. This road and the whole area is marked "No Trespassing" and is locked/gated after business hours. If you enter this area without permission, be sure to check in at the facilities at the lower lake. It will be nice for birders to be able to go in there on future occasions, so be sure to let the staff know you are there and get permission to look around first.

      The only very interesting bird was a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, possible Red-naped Sapsucker hybrid. It was in the trees on the west side of the lower lake about 300 or 400 yards south of the dam, and about 100 yards from the west shore. This is a steep, wooded, wet slope. I heard what sounded like someone taking a wrench and twisting a rusty nut on a rusty bolt. After searching for a moment, I spotted the bird on an oak tree. It then flew over to a well patterned (sapsucker holes) fir tree (I believe) where I got good looks. It was a male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker patterned neck (no red touching white, separated by a nice wide black band), and it had some red on the nape, I think, not sure.

      This area is beautiful and pristine. I saw 30 species total. I did not see an American Dipper in the stream between the lakes (which I know was there a couple of weeks ago).

      Other birds of moderate interest include:

      pair of Wood Ducks(male and female)
      Western Grebe-1
      Greater Scaup-2
      Female Belted Kingfisher-1
      Red-breasted Nuthatch-1 (heard only)
      Winter Wren-3
      Golden-crowned Kinglet-1
      Hermit Thrush-1
      Wrentit-1 (heard only)

      I will be going out on a regular basis to this area in the future, typically twice a month on Thursday mornings between 7:30 and noon and sometimes on weekends. If anyone wishes to join me, please call me on my cell (916) 214 8623.

      Best wishes and good birding,
      Mike Curry
      Willits
    • John Sterling
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2010
        Mike,

        Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers from the Northwest Territories in the Liard River
        Valley and probably in adjacent regions have some red on the nape, so your
        bird could very well be a pure Yellow-bellied even if it had some red
        feathers on the nape.

        John

        John Sterling

        VVVVVVVVVV