Merlin at Coast Botanical Gardens

  • Rick Harris
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2010
      December 4 2010. During the Saturday morning Audubon hosted bird walk a Merlin was spotted northeast of the parking lot. Yours truely spotted the outline of a rapter at about 175 yards and brightly reported it as a Kestrel. Good thing there were some better birders than me (seems a little large for a Kestrel don't you think?) and some good optical equipment and my "Kestrel" was shown to be the Merlin that it in fact was.

      So when driving down highway 1 around Fort Bragg, keep an eye out for those big "Kestrels", they just might be Merlins.

      Rick