Coast: December 4th and 5th

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2010
      Just to clarify the access to where I saw the SANDHILL CRANES from (I did not explain it very well to Karen):
      While driving West on Pt Arena Lighthouse Road look for the gate on the north side of the road with the sign No Parking Fire Lane. There is pedestrian access through the fence right near the gate.
      There is a small somewhat inconvenient pull out right across the road for parking.This is not far from the east end of the row of trees that parallels the road.
      From there walk north towards the corrals and shed. Continue to the high hills that look down on the most westerly pasture of the Garcia Flats. The birds were evidently in that pasture and were scared by the pack of Coyotes as I saw them fly and then land right above one of the ponds.

      On Saturday December 4th other birds of general interest; from the Pt Arena headlands a Heerman's Gull flew by heading south (the only one I saw on the trip). At Pt Arena Cove while waiting with another birder on the pier for "Al" there was a Marbled Murrlet and a Rhinoceros Auklet. I left prior to the albatrosses arrival.
      Back out at the Pt Arena headlands while searching through several hundred gulls on the beach near the Garcia River outlet I found an out of season Long-billed Curlew. On Kinney Rd. there was a single Bonaparte's Gull.
      Sunday December 5th; from the Mendocino Headlands there were 5 Northern Fulmars and one Sooty Shearwater. At Laguna Point a flock of 15 Brant flew by. There were 10 Northern Fulmars and a couple of those flew in and landed fairly close to the shoreline. I also found 3 ANCIENT MURRLETS while scoping the ocean. Jerry White