Re: Fort Bragg Christmas Bird Count

  • Cate
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010
      Jeff and I will be counting birds on the Noyo River via kayak. We are looking for 2 experienced birders to accompany us. No kayaking experience is necessary. We have seats in the front of our tandems for you to ride and help with identifying, counting, and recording.

      Contact us if you are interested.

      Cate and Jeff
      http://www.liquidfusionkayak.com
      (707) 962-1623

      --- In Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com, "richhubie" <richhubie@...> wrote:

      > On January 2nd, we will be conducting the first, in a long time, Fort Bragg Christmas Bird Count(CBC). This will be a trial run. If things go well we will make it official next year. The center of this circle is on Redwood Springs Drive about 2 miles up Simpson Lane. The southern boundary is approx. at the Brewery Gulch Inn's mail box just south of Big River. The northern boundary is approx. at Little Valley Road. the eastern boundary is the emergency call box on Highway 20, approx. 11 miles east of Highway One. And of course the western boundary is lots of ocean. The circle has 8 areas at this time.
      >
      > As you can see it contains many different habitats. There is an actual harbor, two rivers, numerous creeks, old and new growth forests, pygmy forest, coastal bluffs, beaches, grassland, a lake, numerous ponds, State Parks and Preserves, and of course the urban City of Fort Bragg and the not so urban Mendocino.
      >
      > As with all CBCs we will be hoping to cover this area with as many birding teams as possible. This trial run will be mapping where we can go and where we can't. It will be compiled like any normal CBC.
      >
      > We are also looking for feeder watch counters in the circle. Bird feeders are a good source of data for CBCs. They can provide food for birds in the area that may not survive the winter otherwise and can sometimes attract unusual birds. We have a feeder watch coordinator to handle the feeder watchers. If you would like to count birds at your feeders contact Henri Bensussen at 964-8844 for more information.
      >
      > Anyone that would like to particpate in this trail run can contact me at fortbraggcbc@... (preferred)or call 937-4050 and leave a message or reply to this posting.
      >
      > Richard Hubacek
      > Compiler
      > Little River

    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 16, 2011
        We now have a map of the Fort Bragg circle, showing the Area boundaries,
        available on the MCAS Website:
        http://www.mendocinocoastaudubon.org/mcas_fb_xmas.html

        This is an embedded Google Map, meaning you can zoom in and out, move
        around, change to satellite or street map view, etc.

        If you'd like to join in the count for a specific Area, just click on
        the marker for that Area to see who the Leader is, and get in touch with
        them. Or contact me and I'll hook you up.

        Cheers,
        Tim Bray
        CAFB Compiler
        tbray@...