Pectoral Sandpiper, Lake Mendocino

  • Robert Hewitt
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 2002
      Birders,

      On the return from Hawk Hill, Marin, this past weekend we stopped in at the Main Boat Ramp on Lake Mendocino. In drying pools to the south by the dam were several Killdeer, a Black-bellied Plover and a distant Pectoral Sandpiper.

      Not much else around, but I would like to ask a favor if people know good, birdy quick on and off the Hwy birding spots along 101 in Mendocino. I go up and down so many times and how often can I check the Ukiah sewage ponds or Lake Mendocino. I have started to check Reynold's Highway out of Willets and that's about it. Are there any other spots?

      Yours Rob

      Rob Hewitt (Director)
      LBJ Enterprises
      Eureka, CA
      (707) 442-0339 wk (707) 260 0632 fax (707) 845 3189 cell
      www.birdjobs.com
      lbjent@...

      Godwit Days Festival Steering Committee
      www.godwitdays.com - April 18-20, 2003
      Keynote speaker Kenn Kaufman

    • Mike Feighner
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 25, 2002
        Mendocino County Birders:

        Friday afternoon I stopped off at the Lake Mendocino Boat Ramp at the north
        side of the reservoir which Rob describes below. The Pectoral Sandpiper Rob
        reports was there then as well along with an inland Marbled Godwit but no
        Black-bellied Plover. I am not sure if Rob and I are talking about the same
        location as this boat ramp is on the north side of the reservoir at the
        in-flow of the creek.

        A check of the Ukiah Sewage ponds yielded nothing exciting beyond a flock of
        American Coots.

        --
        Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, Alameda County