Warblers and Gulls

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2010
      Hello birders. This morning I heard some soft chipping in an oak tree on my
      parent's property in Potter Valley. When I got my bins on the bird, it turned
      out to be a Black-throated Gray Warbler. A little while later, I refound that
      bird, as well as a second one. I also got looks at what appeared to be an
      intergrade Audubon's X Myrtle Yellow-rumped Warbler. It had a hint of a
      supercillium and a white throat shaped like an Audubon's Warbler. The call and
      the shape of the white in the tail seemed to be intermediate. I guess it was an
      adult female, based on what I could see of the primary coverts, upper tail
      coverts, back and tail.

      At the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant, I couldn't find the Swamp Sparrow, but
      there was a female Hooded Merganser. I also saw an adult Peregrine Falcon and a
      Spotted Sandpiper. Two Virginia Rails and two Soras called from the first
      marshy pond. Along the river I had a 'celata' Orange-crowned Warbler and a
      Townsend's Warbler.

      At the south end of Lake Mendocino I found 150 or so gulls. Most were
      Californias, including one apparent 'albertensis', but I also had lesser numbers
      of Ring-billeds and Glaucous-wingeds, as well as a few Thayer's, Herrings and
      some weird hybrids.

      Matt Brady
      Potter Valley