Salmonids & Silent Auction Tonight in Ukiah!

  • choatzin
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2010
      November is a busy month with many of us beginning to shop for Christmas presents. This year you can "support two birds with one stone" by attending Peregrine Audubon Society's monthly meeting on Thursday, November 18 at 7PM at the Ukiah City Council Chambers. In addition to Park Steiner's presentation on salmonids, PAS is hosting a Silent Auction to benefit their conservation and education programs.

      Bid on wonderful items including tickets to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, birding trips led by local experts, catered dinner for four, Dave Bengston's hand-crafted bird houses, and much more.

      Tonight our own Park Steiner, fisheries biologist and authority on our local salmonids, will be discussing the natural history of these fish, their historical and present status, and the prospects for their future. The Russian River watershed once provided habitat for tens of thousands of salmonids. Today that number is probably less than 1000. What happened? As Park will discuss, the causes were not intentional, but the results of many factors with significant cumulative impacts over time. Given our present day struggles with issues like water storage and deliveries and habitat conservation, this is a timely presentation and one you will not want to miss.

      The Council Chambers are in the Ukiah Civic Center at 300 Seminary Avenue. From South State Street turn west on Seminary and go to the end into the parking lot.