update on UC-HREC Lewis's woodpecker

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16 11:19 AM
      16 November 2010 - Last Saturday I reported a Lewis's Woodpecker that flew
      across University Road here at the UC-Hopland Research & Extension Center.
      That evening, a staff person's spouse picked up an injured bird alongside
      the road near to where I had seen the Lewis's. I expected to see an acorn
      woodpecker or screech owl in the box .but there it was, the immature Lewis's
      Woodpecker. I at first thought that it must have been hit be a vehicle, but
      a closer look revealed that is was missing the majority of primary feathers
      on one wing . and I think a raptor such as a Cooper's or Sharp-shinned hawk
      just missed the bird and instead grabbed a talons-ful of flight feathers
      instead. The woodpecker was alert and quite perky in the morning, so I
      released it into a large Quercus lobata (Valley Oak) near the headquarters,
      and it happily ascended the main trunk. However, I have not been able to
      relocate the bird since (and I am a bit baffled as to where it went).

      Oh .and anyone driving past the Garcia River flats should keep an eye out
      for Sandhill Cranes as the two fly-overs near Anchor Bay MAY have stopped
      there.

      Good birding. Bob Keiffer