Vaux's Swifts in Healdsburg

  • vishnu
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2002
      On Wed. 9/18 I visited the Rio Linda Academy just outside of Healdsburg to
      view the Vaux's Swifts as, in their thousands, they swirled through the
      evening skies and then at dusk descended into a large brick chimney to roost
      for the night. It is an incredible sight that anyone with even a smidgeon of
      interest in the natural world would be thrilled at seeing. This is an annual
      event occuring over a couple of weeks in mid September so the time to visit
      is NOW.
      I arrived at 6:30pm with hundred of Swifts circling above the Academy. That
      was nice but the numbers increased dramatically in the next 1/2 hour and
      from 7:00 until they entered the chimney at 7:30pm the number of birds and
      the aeronautics were awesome.
      Vishnu

      To get there coming from the north on Hwy 101:
      Probably the best route is to continue past the first two Healdsburg exits,
      cross the Russian River and take the next (Old Redwood Hwy) exit. Go left
      crossing to the east side of the freeway and proceed back northeast on
      Healdsburg Ave. Continue north east until you reach Bailhache Drive.
      There is also a sign for Rio Linda Academy at that
      intersection. Turn right onto Bailhache and drive east , along the south-
      eastern bank of the Russian River to the Academy, about 3 1/2 miles. Upon
      entering the campus (a Seventh Day Adventist High School) keep to the left
      and drive behind the classroom and dorm buildings. You will then have the
      Gymnasium and large athletic field on your left. Just past the athletic
      field is a red brick maintainence building with a large brick chimney - not
      tall but wide.
      You can park across from the maintainence bldg.
      The Academy is very gracious in allowing the public to view
      this wonderful spectacle, and they only ask that visitors be on their good
      behavior.
    • Quince Amanda
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 21, 2002
        I was very surprised to spot 2 large flocks of geese
        (Canada?) migrating South last evening (9/20) at dusk
        on a very warm evening. I have never seen so many
        birds, (around 200 total) heading South when it is
        still officially Summer. It is usually mid-October
        when I see them passing overhead here NW of Willits.

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • K A Havlena
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 18, 2009
          Sun, 17 Oct, 2009 -  This morning, I saw a minima Cackling Goose
          with eight White-fronted Geese on the beach at Howard Creek.  This
          is along Hwy 1 north of Westport a few miles.

          There were almost no land birds at the creeks.

          Jim Havlena
          Ocean Meadows
          Fort Bragg, CA