3 Juv. Pacific Golden Plovers at Pt. Arena Lighthouse

  • Richard Kuehn
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2010
      Earlier today, Rich Trissel and I went birding on both sides of the Gualala
      River. While there are several hundred Gulls on the Gualala River beach,
      the river having breached the sandbar early this year, there was nothing
      unusual for this late Fall. Venturing south on Highway 1 to the north
      eastern portion of The Sea Ranch, which is private, we checked out the
      northern treatment ponds where we saw 8 Bufflehead on the water and a
      Wilson’s Snipe dancing the rumba on the north shore. Crossing west of
      highway 1, we walked with some golfing friends out near a couple of the
      ponds to see if Sora were back. (Dean Schuler and I had been periodically
      playing calls through the summer to determine if the species bred here: no
      response from May through September.) At the first pond, a Virginia Rail
      replied, though it was not seen. At the second pond, 4 Sora immediately
      responded with one coming to the edge of the reeds to check us out briefly.

      Driving north, we hit fog just south of Moat Creek. Determined to accept
      the weather, we drove out to the Pt. Arena Lighthouse observing several wet
      and bedraggled Red-tailed Hawks and American Kestrels. As we slowed in
      front of the Lighthouse cabins for rent, we saw several Killdeer left of the
      road and then Rich Trissel spotted a Juv. Golden Plover that we rapidly
      determined was a Pacific. (I grabbed several captures of the bird and am
      happy to share.) Parking, we looked for the Peregrine Falcon that is
      frequently behind the Museum, but found only Brandt’s and Pelagic Cormorants
      with a few Western Gulls. However, making our way behind the cabins to the
      gazebo, I noted another Juv. Pacific Golden Plover with the first one and
      suddenly they all flew back over the cabins revealing a third.

      We did not find the previously sighted White-faced Ibis, nor were there any
      identifiable Yellow-headed Blackbirds amongst the more than 1,000 we scoped
      thru across Hunter’s Lagoon at the end of Barnegat off Stoneboro Road south
      of Manchester. We did note a pair of Gadwall and 4 Scaup sps. in the Lagoon
      along with ~40 American Coots and had a single Long-billed Dowitcher
      fly-over while calling.

      Best Birding,

      Rich Kuehn and Rich Trissel

      Richard Kuehn