Two Ferruginous Hawks 11/4/10

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2010
      Thur, 4 Nov 2010 -- While driving north from Fort Bragg, I stopped to look at
      two different FERRUGINOUS HAWKS.  One was a sub-adult just a tad south
      of Little Valley Rd & Hwy 1 on a pole in the open area.  The other was the
      returning adult FEHA that winters on the east side of Hwy 1, across from Ocean
      Meadows, north of Ten Mile bridge mm 70.32.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, Cal

    • Richard Kuehn
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2010
        Earlier today, Rich Trissel and I went birding on both sides of the Gualala
        River. While there are several hundred Gulls on the Gualala River beach,
        the river having breached the sandbar early this year, there was nothing
        unusual for this late Fall. Venturing south on Highway 1 to the north
        eastern portion of The Sea Ranch, which is private, we checked out the
        northern treatment ponds where we saw 8 Bufflehead on the water and a
        Wilson’s Snipe dancing the rumba on the north shore. Crossing west of
        highway 1, we walked with some golfing friends out near a couple of the
        ponds to see if Sora were back. (Dean Schuler and I had been periodically
        playing calls through the summer to determine if the species bred here: no
        response from May through September.) At the first pond, a Virginia Rail
        replied, though it was not seen. At the second pond, 4 Sora immediately
        responded with one coming to the edge of the reeds to check us out briefly.

        Driving north, we hit fog just south of Moat Creek. Determined to accept
        the weather, we drove out to the Pt. Arena Lighthouse observing several wet
        and bedraggled Red-tailed Hawks and American Kestrels. As we slowed in
        front of the Lighthouse cabins for rent, we saw several Killdeer left of the
        road and then Rich Trissel spotted a Juv. Golden Plover that we rapidly
        determined was a Pacific. (I grabbed several captures of the bird and am
        happy to share.) Parking, we looked for the Peregrine Falcon that is
        frequently behind the Museum, but found only Brandt’s and Pelagic Cormorants
        with a few Western Gulls. However, making our way behind the cabins to the
        gazebo, I noted another Juv. Pacific Golden Plover with the first one and
        suddenly they all flew back over the cabins revealing a third.

        We did not find the previously sighted White-faced Ibis, nor were there any
        identifiable Yellow-headed Blackbirds amongst the more than 1,000 we scoped
        thru across Hunter’s Lagoon at the end of Barnegat off Stoneboro Road south
        of Manchester. We did note a pair of Gadwall and 4 Scaup sps. in the Lagoon
        along with ~40 American Coots and had a single Long-billed Dowitcher
        fly-over while calling.

        Best Birding,

        Rich Kuehn and Rich Trissel

        Richard Kuehn