Juvenile Gulls in downtown Ukiah

  • mohagan1984
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2010
      I saw a couple of juvenile gulls in downtown Ukiah today around noon as I was driving around looking for an SF Chronicle (with the Giants win, the newspapers were sold out almost everywhere). I stopped so many places I can't remember where I specifically saw them, but I can't remember the last time I saw a gull in downtwn Ukiah. My gull ID skills aren't great either, but these were the speckledy one I know are juveniles. I would normally see gulls inland like this when there are storms at sea (at least that's what the pattern was when I lived in Palo Alto), but that's not what's happening right now.
    • Lisa Walker (Feather)
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2010
        A huge storm in the Gulf of Alaska has generated exceedingly high surf along the coast; gulls were everywhere....wouldn't surprise me if those juveniles you saw were perhaps raised on Lake Mendocino instead of the coast, however ;)