Virgin Creek Beach 10/20/10

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2010
      Wed, 20 Oct 2010 -- Mid-afternoon, I did an SOS survey of Virgin Creek
      beach.  MEW GULLS were first of season birds for me today.  A handsome,
      male HARLEQUIN DUCK was on the long, low rock at the north end of the
      main beach.  A MERLIN zoomed about.  Probably the same PACIFIC
      GOLDEN-PLOVER seen by Charlene and Becky was still around.  Other
      shorebirds included DUNLIN, WILLET, Long & Short-billed DOWITCHERS,
      SANDERLINGS, BLACK TURNSTONES, BLACK OYSTERCATCHERS,
      BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS, SURFBIRDS and KILLDEER were spread
      out along the beach.  A LINCOLN'S SPARROW and a WHITE-TAILED KITE
      were on the bluffs.

      Karen Havlena
      Fort Bragg, MEN, California

      PS: Congratulations to George for hearing the GREATER ROADRUNNER in
      Potter Valley - persistence paid off for him!