Western Tanager

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 19, 2010
      Yesterday I saw a Western Tanager eating figs out of my fig tree. This is the 3rd time I have seen one in the fig tree in about the last 2 weeks. I think it may be the same bird hanging around. It is kind of shy and elusive.

      Other things of note: I had 55 Pine Siskins (record for my yard) at my feeders yesterday and a flock of about 20 Wild Turkeys that has been here for about three days.
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2011
        I thought I saw one yesterday, so I looked for it today and verified a bright female Western Tanager eating my figs. I think it might be the same one that I had last year. Unfortunately, for Christy & I, there is lots of competition from Starlings and Jays.

        Something else that has showed up are the Band-tailed Pigeons, which always start coming to the feeders when the rains start. And yesterday there were 8 and today 10 Eurasian-collared Doves. I have never had more than a couple.

        Dave Bengston
        Rogina Heights, Ukiah
      • sauntergs
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 26, 2011
          Just before 4:30 this Monday afternoon I heard 'pit-er-nick' coming from the valley oak above me next to my house on W. Standley St. Ukiah. The Western Tanager soon flew off. If it becomes a common visitor I will let everyone know.