Moorhens at the College

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2010
      I visited the College Pond today from 10:45 to 11:10. There were four moorhens. One of them is an adult still in very bright breeding plumage. A second one is a juvenile. A third one is an adult in non-breeding plumage. The fourth I did not get a good look at the head, but I did see the tail and white on the flanks. They were very vocal and did not notice me for about 15 minutes at which time they went into the reeds.

      I returned an hour later and only saw the breeding-plumage adult still being very vocal.

      Yes, there were a total of 4!

      Other birds included a green heron, seen both times and a Great Egret.